...tales from the gray crypt

Welcome!!! This is my life... Moving @ the rate of knots... the worst part is that due to its demanding schedule in this nondescript town - Harihar, where im studying management, the time i get to write is less than the time you would take when you say phi-la-del-phia.. :-/ this is my catharsis.. Will try and squeeze in whatever i can, especially the lessons that life teaches me. So, here i go, placing YOU on my pantheon, and hope that you like the gray ideating. Yours truly, Karan

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Why @vertising??!! HERE GOES.....

Met a gentleman sometime back who wanted to know as to why do I feel that advertising is my calling... (actually wanted to share this with you as well....)
After the conversation,,, went up to the comp lab at my insti. and wrote some crap which went like this:

According to Mr. David Ogilvy, “Advertising Agencies are Psychological Pothouses.”

And it is the primary reason for me to be interested in working at one, not just based on the statement above, but for the fact that no other industry (job) offers you an atmosphere which is even close to being in the same vicinity of being as stimulating (viz. creativity, vocabulary, attire, personality, clients and the people per se; everything is so eclectic), as an ad agency (can be) is.

From the little of what I understand, there are no watertight compartments in an agency (I’ve read somewhere that only an agency can give you a chance to work with your NCD on a project after a couple of months, where in other jobs, you might take a few months to shake hands with your CEO).

Now, coming down to ground zero, we know that, that a client executive is the interface between the creative team and the clients of the agency. I feel this is my calling, because, I have excellent communication skills, both verbal as well as non-verbal, I love traveling, I love meeting new people and observing their behavior. It is also important for an accounts executive to be able to make good presentations, and believe that I am a confident presenter, who does his homework properly. I would also, at the risk of sounding a wee bit immodest, would add that I am a fast learner and the learning curve for me never ends.

To drive the point home (just in case…), I would conclude by saying that in the formative years of your career, what you learn is more important than what you earn, and for an ad agency, I assure you that it will get the best of me...

(Just a small piece of news for you guys,,, I`ve got through Business Standard, Bangalore for my Summers,,, even after being as close as David Beckham & MLS are at this point of time, for getting into O & M, Chennai...

Am a little disappointed,,, but my FINALS beckon in less than a year :->
Positivity at it`s paragon,, eh!!??)

Would end my first post after 324 hrs, 5 mins, and 23 secs. since the new year on that Gospel of the BHAGWAD GITA, which never goes wrong and fits into practically any context...

Karmanye Vadhikaraste Maa Phaleshu Kadachana...

Will try and come back soon...
Enjoy & God Bless you all...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have Talent and energy - you are a king.

If you have energy but no talent - you are still a prince.

But(.....that's a big BUT!)

If you have talent and no energy, (then forget it)....you are a pauper....

Commit this to memory.......hope the message finds its way...

SOM - free at last, the endless horizon beckons.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home